Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Almost like running

This week I'm doing 5/1 run/walk intervals, which is an awful lot like, well, running. My standard short loop run takes around 15 minutes (plus stretching/warm-up/cool-down time), so I have only two one-minute walking intervals, and it's very comfortable - it feels like I could quite happily run the whole lot now. But I'm resisting the temptation to push things too quickly. I read somewhere that a lot of running beginners pick up injuries after about three months; your bones and joints take longer to adapt than your muscles.

But I've already come quite a long way. Ten weeks ago I couldn't run for more than about a minute at a time. And I was seven or eight pounds heavier. At this rate I might actually be approaching fitness by the time I'm 40 next February.

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

It's true enough Phil, connective tissue in particular takes a while to adapt. I know, I've had plantar fasciitis for months because of overtraining. Try and stick to 10% per week growth (total time or distance), with the occasional week of rest or slight recovery. Other activities, e.g. cycling, could sustain more rapid development than this, but not running. Your 10k goal should be attainable.

06 October, 2005 09:03  
Blogger buryblue said...

Like Matt I also had plantar fasciitis lasy year for about 6 weeks. This was brought on by a holiday in the Lake District where the temptation to run around beautiful Keswick and Derwentwater led me to overdue the running.

You are obviously making great strides. I still find the biggest challenge is getting through the front door. Once I have done that the rest is simple.

17 October, 2005 19:41  

Post a Comment

<< Home