Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Back on the road

I've decided to start running again. I made this decision yesterday evening, during a game of tag in the back garden with the children. Although I could still comfortably out-pace the one-year-old, I was having a harder time keeping ahead of the four-year-old. And things were, well, wobbling rather a lot.

So it was up at the crack of 6:45 this morning to return to my old plodding ground, the short loop around the nearby streets. I took it gently, stretching before and after, walking for a bit to warm up, and trundling gently along with run 1/walk 1 intervals. I haven't retained a great deal of residual fitness from last year's running; I was going about as fast I did after my first week of running. But I suppose that's only to be expected.

It's always a good idea to write your goals down, so here are mine:
  • Short term: Go running at least three times a week throughout June. Actually I'm hoping for four times a week, including one longer run at weekends.
  • Medium term: Run the short loop (2.36k) without stopping. As before I'll extend the intervals gradually until I get there.
  • Long term: Run 10k without stopping. And I'm going to do this before I even think about running in a 10k race.

2 Comments:

Blogger Matt said...

Welcome back. Coincidentally, I had just moved your blog onto the dormant pile, but now I will move it back off again.

24 May, 2006 14:52  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Phil, to running and blogging.

When I started running, it was to keep up with my 3 y.o. (and also to have a little time to myself away from her).

Looking forward to hearing about every run!

24 May, 2006 18:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home