Monday, June 26, 2006

Queasy

Last Sunday I ran 4.5k, and this Sunday, the end of week 5, I had 5k on the schedule. Fairly achievable, you might have thought, but soon after setting out it became apparent that all was not well. After about two minutes I felt a bit queasy. After five minutes I felt that I was soon going to suffer from Jeanne's trouble, or possibly Beckham's. Or maybe both at once. They say one of the most important things to do as a runner is listen to what your body is telling you, and mine was telling me, quite firmly, "No running today, thank you". I strolled back to the house and sat very still in the garden until things had calmed down.

Out this morning in the drizzle for a very good run, feeling great. I think I'll repeat a week of the schedule and see how things go.

2 Comments:

Blogger Downhillnut said...

I've encountered Jeanne's problem more than once. It's gotten so that I have to get up VERY early before long runs to drink something hot and visit the bathroom a few times. It also helps to plan runs around known public bathrooms. Sometimes I've even taken Imodium (medicine) for it, with limited success.

As for Beckham's malady - I've yet to have that on a run, thank goodness. I do know that in heat it helps to consume electrolytes with your fluids, but if that were foolproof the Team would have figured it out, I suppose.

I've often repeated weeks in my training programs when I needed to. Building up steadily and slowly has really helped to stave off injuries.

28 June, 2006 14:51  
Blogger jeanne said...

Holy cats, i now have a problem named after me, and it's even crossed the pond!!! But forget that, I now am mentioned in the same sentence as Beckham!!!

I do believe I have finally arrived. :)

May you never suffer from my "trouble."

30 June, 2006 13:56  

Post a Comment

<< Home